The kids’ first ever quarterly exam as homeschoolers happened this month as well. We followed about 80% of the exams given by their school provider, the remaining 20% I had to revise according to my kids’ pace and extra lessons covered. I’m very happy that both of them passed the exams!
We started the second quarter by splurging on books. I’m just so happy that I was able to score all the books above at Chapters and Pages UP Town for a little over 1,000 pesos. Since our mini library is growing, I’ve also decided to create our database of books. I’m working on it now using Microsoft Excel – hopefully, I’ll be able to come up with a dashboard where my kids will be able to search for books in our library by searching using “author” and “topic” keywords. I’ll share about it here too once I’m done.
Some of the books I scored in the sale are the ff:
Exploring Geology – simply because my kids love reading my earth science books
The Messiah – a manga about Jesus Christ that Gugu picked up
Story books such as Rip Van Winkle (illustrated), Dog Man, Lego Novel, Wolves, and Terrific Trains
Art books such as Usborne’s Art Ideas Drawing Animals and Make Clay Charms
General knowledge books such as Everything You Need to Know (The Answer Book for School Survival) and 100 Most Awesome Things of the Planet
Puzzle books such as Sit & Solve Pencil Puzzles (in the shaped of toilet seat, Ian’s choice) and Spot the Difference picture book
The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas
Writing Books for me and Nereus
Science books such Introductory Chemistry (my choice), Science with Plants, Man on the Moon (Limited Edition), Hurricane Destruction, & Do It Now! Science Wild Experiments & Outdoor Adventures
I also wish to highlight our first visit of Adarna House showroom located at Scout Torillo, Brgy. Sacred Heart, Quezon City. My kids have been given Adarna books written by local writers and artists during Christmas and birthday thus, it was a dream come true for them to have been able to visit the showroom. Our stay was short but my eldest snagged a copy of the book guide so we could choose which ones to buy in the upcoming Manila International Book Fair come September of this year. My main purpose for the visit was to also get our Mini Wikahon boxes (A and B) to supplement our Filipino lessons especially after I found out that they were going to be on sale from August 22-24. Lucky me! Photos below say it all!
We will use Wikahon boxes to supplement their Filipino subject.
The most important Science-related event that my kids did this month was our coop’s Science Tour wherein the parents and kids got to visit the Pagasa Weather Forecast Center, Pagasa Planetarium and PHIVOLCS. I will write a separate blog about this soon but for now, suffice it to say that our kids learned geologic hazard, got to experience the earthquake simulator and also learned about the roles of scientists in weather forecasting and hazard predictions and disaster management, among others. More on this in my future post!